Setting up gas and electricity in your new home in 2020

Switch Plan

Looking for the best energy deal on the market? Switch to a new supplier in minutes!

Call us and let our experts switch you to a new energy plan for free.

Available Monday-Friday from 9am-7pm

Have you just moved into a new home and want to know how to get your gas and electricity up and running? Well, you’ve come to the right place. Here’s a step-by-step guide to setting up energy in your new home.

Last update: November 2020

🏠 COVID-19

The coronavirus pandemic is likely to affect all of our personal finances. However, the UK lockdown will not affect the services we provide. Our team of experts are working hard to ensure that you make savings on your energy bill by switching suppliers. Read more about your energy supply during COVID-19 here.

Setting up your energy in your new house

1. When you move out of your old place, it’s important to take a meter reading. The best way to do this is to write down the reading on a sheet of paper and leave it in an accessible place for the new residents of the property. Or indeed you can take a photo of the meter. This essentially means that the supplier of this home will know exactly how much energy you used prior to moving out, so they won’t overcharge you. This is true whether you are renting a new home, or are a new homeowner.

Want to know how to read your meter? Well, this depends on the type of meter you have! Check out our guide all about how to read your energy meters.

2. Now as you move your things into your new house, it’s important to take a meter reading here as well! If you take it as soon as you move in and jot down the reading, you will be able to provide this information to the supplier of your new house and they will know when exactly to start charging you.

When you provide this information to your new supplier, and if you then decide you want to switch plans, you might need to provide them with MPAN and MPRN. Your MPAN is for your electricity supply, and your MPRN is for your gas supply. Each house has a unique MPAN and MPRN. You can usually find them both on your electricity bill, or you can call your electricity distributor and they can provide you with this information.

3. When you move into your new place, you will automatically inherit a deemed energy contract. All this means is that your energy will be provided by the same supplier as the previous residents had decided upon. If you don’t know who supplies your home with energy, you can head over to the Ofgem website and you can find out all the information you need there. Deemed contracts tend to be more expensive than standard contracts. But don’t worry—you’ll only be on this contract until when you make the switch to your new energy supplier. The switch typically takes around 21 days, so you will likely pay at least one bill on this deemed contract depending on how long it takes you to find a plan and switch.

Want to know who distributes energy in your area?

If you’re moving to a completely new region, you might not know who distributes energy around your area. We’ve compiled a list for you here.

RegionDistribution Company
London, East, South East
UK Power Networks
North East
Northern Powergrid
North West
Electricity North West
South Wales, Midlands, South West
Western Power Distribution
SSE Power Distribution
Northern Scotland
SSE Power Distribution
Southern ScotlandSP Energy Networks

Last modified the September 10, 2020

4. After reviewing your new energy plan, you might decide that you want to keep it. If it works well for your household and fits in your budget, then you might not feel the need to switch. However, if you do decide that it’ll be best to switch for whatever reason, give our experts a ring and they will find you the best energy plan based on the details you give them about your living situation and the priorities you have regarding your energy consumption.

Also remember to check your gas safety certificate. If you’re a landlord trying to organise the energy supply for your tenants, or if you run a B&B or take in lodgers, understanding the gas safe procedures is essential. Moving into a new home also requires a gas safety certificate. Moreover, it’s worth getting an EPC. The EPC offers general information on the energy used by a property and how much that energy typically costs.

It’s super easy to switch energy suppliers when you’re moving house, which is good because it’s often very necessary! All it takes is one quick phone call and it can all be done for you. The only thing you need to make sure is that you take meter readings to ensure that you aren’t overcharged in either properties for energy you don’t use.

Power up your smart home

How do you know which supplier to switch to?

You need to take into account a few things when deciding which energy supplier is best for you. These are:

  • How much energy your household uses, or is predicted to use. If you are a home that tends to consume a lot of energy, or if you just live in a big property, you will want to find a deal that is better value for money.
  • Your environmental priorities. If you really care about making sure that your energy supply doesn’t do harm to the planet, then you should opt for a greener tariff. There are loads of green deals to choose from on the market.
  • Your budget. If you are on a tight budget, you probably want to find a plan that has a low cost per unit in your area, or that is simply great value for money. Again, you can take a look online and compare prices, or of course give us a ring and our experts can find you the cheapest deal, while also observing your other priorities.
  • If you want separate gas and electricity bills or not. If you want to keep everything in one place, then we recommend getting a dual fuel contract. In general, these are a lot more convenient than single tariff plans, as you only have to liaise with one supplier, and you can also make some pretty big savings. However, it’s up to you, and it’s something you need to consider.
  • How long you want to stay on one contract for and how you want to pay. Do you want to pay for the energy you use upfront? Then a pay as you go plan is for you. Don’t forget that these can often be much more expensive, however. If you want to pay pretty much the same amount every month, with no extra hassle, then perhaps a fixed direct debit plan is the best option for you. You can call one of our experts or browse our suppliers pages where you can find all the variations of plans that they each offer.

Remember, when you are considering all of these options, you need to take into account that your new house might be fairly different from your previous property. Is it a lot bigger? Does it have more or less natural light? How many people will be living there? Considering all of these factors will help you make the best decision when it comes to your energy consumption.

Call us to switch your energy supplier for free!

0330 054 0017


Can I carry over my current plan to my new house?

Energy in your new homeThis depends on if your energy supplier also provides the same service in your new area. You might be able to stay on the same contract if you are moving somewhere closeby. This is because energy prices vary depending on the region, so the cost of your plan will change depending on where you move to.

If you have managed to line up your moving day with the end of your energy plan, then you can switch over easily and not have to pay any exit fees. Exit fees can be quite expensive, but when you’re moving you sometimes don’t have a choice. Unless, however, you switch within 49 days of the end date of your plan. Ofgem rules state that if you decide to switch plans within this time period, you won’t face any exit fees.

What happens if I am moving into a new build?

If your house is new, this means that they haven’t had a previous supplier before. Of course, the property developer should let you know who they opted for when building the property. Moreover, if it’s a modern new build, it will probably be fully equipped with a smart meter, meaning that your energy might be already set up for you. However, when you move in, you can always switch suppliers if you find one that is better suited for you.

To find out more, check out these guides:


Written by eleanor

Updated on 25 Nov, 2020


star star star star star

Learn more about our process for controlling and publishing ratings