Call us to switch for free!
Available Monday to Friday from 9am until 7pm
papernest disclaims that they are not currently in partnership with npower
If you want to become one of nPower’s loyal customers, you should ring them up to make the switch over to one of their tariffs. Remember, our Switch Plan experts are here to talk you through your alternative options.
Who are npower?
- npower is one of the UK’s leading energy suppliers, with 3.6 million clients around the country. They have had a very interesting trajectory since their formation!
- In 2000, npower was founded as part of Innogy plc and National Power. Innogy went on to buy Northern Electric, a regional electricity supplier.
- In March 2002, RWE, a German electricity company, bought npower and the companies merged.
- In 2006, npower bought a large amount of shares from Telecom Plus, and in 2009, they bought Superior Plumbing who work in social housing across the UK.
- In 2013, npower went on to sell Telecom Plus to Utility Warehouse.
- After dividing up the company into energy and retail services respectively, RWE now own npower as a subsidiary company. They are now called npower Limited.
- However, the biggest acquisition took place in 2019, when Eon bought npower. After the failure of a merger between SSE and npower, Eon decided to complete the acquisition. For the time being, npower exists as part of Eon, but over the next couple of years, the full merger will be complete and npower will cease to exist independently. This will involve npower ceding all of their clientele to Eon and job cuts. In fact, new customers cannot start up on a new npower tariff, although existing plans will not be affected. New customers will be sent to Eon’s site to choose one of their tariffs.
What support do npower offer?
Warm Home Discount
npower offer the Warm Home Discount to their customers who are struggling to pay their energy bills. This particular government grant swipes off £140 from your energy bill between October and February, allowing you to heat your home for less. During the winter months, energy can be more expensive because of a higher demand, so if you are having trouble paying your bill in the winter, you can check if you are eligible for this grant.
As well as the Warm Home Discount, npower have their own charity called the npower Energy Fund. This is a similar grant in that it aims to reduce fuel poverty by helping their customers pay their bills if they are struggling. However, given this is an npower scheme, it will no longer be available from June 2020 due to the Eon acquisition.
The ECO Scheme
The ECO Scheme is a scheme that aims to help people with home services, such as loft insulation, boiler repairs, etc. Through this scheme, people who are financially struggling can get discounted or free home services. The 11 largest energy suppliers in the UK are obliged to form part of this scheme in order to tackle fuel poverty and help people heat their homes. Because of this, npower customers will still have access to this scheme through E.on.
What are nPower’ electricity, gas and dual energy plans?
Do npower have a renewable energy plan?
With npower you can get solar thermal panels installed onto your house. Solar energy works through absorbing heat from the sun through panels and mirrors and then converting this energy that is used to produce electricity in your home. npower partnered up with ecofirst who will install the panels for you. However, like other suppliers, this service is not available anymore due to the cut in the Feed-In-Tariff Scheme.
How can I pay my npower energy bill?
There are various ways in which you can pay your npower energy bill.
- Firstly, you can head over to their website and log in to your npower account, where you will be able pay your bill by direct debit or credit card.
- Alternatively, you can download the npower mobile app for free. On this app, you will be able to pay your bill. It also has a number of other fuctions, such as customer services and topping up your prepayment meter.
- You can also give npower services a ring on 0800 073 3000 where you can pay your bill by direct debit or credit card.
- You can head to the bank or a Paypoint and pay your npower energy bill with cash. You might need a payment slip in order to pay this way.
- Finally, you can make out a check to npower to pay your gas and electricity bills.
Will npower supply me with a smart meter?
You can request the installation of a smart meter online through the npower website. There, you can organise a date and time for a technician to come and install your smart meter for you.
Even if you have a smart meter from your previous supplier, your npower plan will be incompatible, so you must request a new smart meter.
For existing npower customers, your npower smart meter will be compatible with other suppliers, so there’s no need to get a new one installed if you decide to switch away from npower.
How can I submit a meter reading to npower?
If you don’t have a smart meter installed in your home, you will need to actively submit meter readings to npower. There are a few ways you can do this.
- Firstly, you can head over the npower website. There, you can log in to your npower account and submit a reading.
- Alternatively, you can ring up npower on 0300 100 3000 (from your mobile) or 0800 073 3000 (from your landline) and submit your meter reading that way.
- The npower mobile app is completely free and is another way to submit your meter reading. You connect the app to your account and are then able to submit your meter reading, top up your prepayment plan, and access other customer services.
Remember, if you have a second generation smart meter, you don’t need to manually submit your meter reading as your supplier will have up-to-date access to your energy consumption.
Do npower have boiler schemes?
npower offers their customers boiler cover for installation, repairs and replacements. They have a range of plans for a range of prices. In order to not break your warranty, you must undergo a boiler service within the first year of its installation.
What do their customers say?
In 2016, npower’s reputation became damaged after they lost £106million in profit, resulting in 2,500 job losses. They also lost over 350,000 customers the year before. npower are now owned by Eon who have pretty good customer ratings.
They rated a 3.6/5 on TrustPilot with reviews from over 11,600 customers. 54% of reviews considered the service to be ‘excellent’, compared with 21% who deemed it ‘bad’.
Updated on 15 Sep, 2020